Fellowship Venues and Curriculum
The Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program at IUSM is dedicated to training individuals to develop expertise in the care of patients with serious illness and to become leaders in the field of Palliative Medicine. (Click here to learn more about palliative care.) All fellows participate in a blend of monthly clinical rotations and continuity experiences to meet this goal. Trainees may elect a one-year clinical track or a two-year track (see below).Please click here for the comprehensive Indiana University Palliative Medicine Fellowship Curriculum
Core Clinical Experiences
- Wishard Health Services: The fellowship is based at Wishard Memorial Hospital, which provides care to the population of Marion County. Wishard's Palliative Care Program, which won The Jim Wright Vulnerable Populations Award in 2005 and the American Hospital Association Circle of Life Award in 2009, provides inpatient and outpatient consultative services utilizing an expert interdisciplinary team. Throughout the fellowship, the fellow works with the interdisciplinary team to provide outpatient consultative services and ambulatory palliative care, including clinic home visit, and nursing facility experiences.
- Home Hospice and Abbie Hunt Bryce Home Experience: The Wishard Palliative Care Team works closely with area hospices, including Franciscan VNS of Central Indiana. Fellows work closely with the hospices in providing home care. Additionally, fellows see patients at the Abbie Hunt Bryce Home for the dying poor.
- Richard L. Roudebush VA Palliative Care Consultation Service: The Roudebush VA serves as a tertiary center within the VA system. Fellows rotate with this busy consultation service which is staffed by a full interdisciplinary team and directed by Dr. Marian McNamara.
- IU Methodist Hospital Yellow Rose Palliative Care and Hospice Unit and Palliative Care Consultation Service: Located several blocks from Wishard, Methodist Hospital (part of IU Health Partners) is also affiliated with IUSM. The Yellow Rose Unit at Methodist Hospital is a twelve-bed inpatient hospice and palliative care unit. It is the inpatient unit for the Ruth Lilly Hospice of IU Health. The hospital has a growing palliative care consultation service which is directed by one of our former fellows, Dr. Jeff Walker.
- St. Vincent Inpatient Hospice Unit and Supportive Care Consultation Service: St. Vincent has a 25 bed, free-standing inpatient hospice unit located on the northside of Indianapolis. The hospital has a well-established consultation program which is staffed by two of our former fellows, Drs. Natasha Tomlinson and Colleen Brown.
Elective Clinical Experiences
- Anesthesia Pain
- Medical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Interventional Radiology
- Palliative Care in the Medical and Surgical Intensive Care
- International Hospice and Palliative Care (Kenya)
Outline of Yearly Fellow Schedule
Core Rotations (Four Week Block Rotations, 7.5 Rotations)
- Inpatient Consults
- Wishard Health Services Consultation Service – 2 rotations
- VA Consultation – 1 rotation
- St. Vincent or Methodist Hospital Consultation Service – 1 rotation (selective)
- Methodist Yellow Rose Unit or St. Vincent Inpatient Hospice – 1 rotation (selective)
- 1 Additional Selective (Any inpatient consultation or inpatient hospice experience)
- Pediatrics St. Vincent or Riley – 2 week rotation
- Outpatient Consults (One Four Week Rotation)
- Nursing Home and dedicated home hospice rotation – 1 rotation
- Fellows select electives from the attached list – 4.5 rotations
- Vacation – 4 weeks
Throughout the year, fellows participate in regular palliative medicine conferences, including didactics, journal club, and challenging case discussions. The rich academic environment at IUSM allows for participation in a wide array of other beneficial conferences, including Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics presentations, oncology grand rounds, tumor board, and many others.