- Genotype SNPs in the coding regions of the genes of the alcohol metabolizing enzymes ADH1B, ADH1C, and ALDH2.
- Genotype polymorphisms in the promoter region of the ALDH1 gene.
- Genotype variants in the ADH cluster of genes using the Sequenom MassArray system. The SNP panels cover all 7 ADH genes in the chromosome 4 region.
- Employ SNP panels to genotype SNPs covering the GABA receptors, and the cholinergic receptor, muscarinic 2 receptor (CHRM2).
Contact Dr. Tiebing Liang or Dr. Lucinda Carr.
Please include the following information in your application:
- Whether your project is a funded study or a pilot study that will be used to seek funding.
- Proof of IRB approval from your institution.
- Genes that you want to have genotyped.
- Hypothesis, duration, and type of study.
- Subject information including population, total sample number, and frequency of sending samples.
- Your contact information.
- Swab the side of the fingertip with an alcohol swipe to reduce the chance of local infection.
- Use an automatic fingerstick lancet device or manually stab the side of the fingertip of the subject.
- Spot the capillary blood onto Whatman 3M chromatography paper* to create at least three 1.25 cm spots that soak completely through the paper. You may have to milk the wound by squeezing the surrounding tissue to produce enough blood.
- Immediately label the filter paper with a coded subject identification number and keep a code key with the full name as well as other information.
- Dry the sample completely before storing; store samples together in an envelope with a piece of writing paper between them to avoid all chance of contamination. If you use the blood collection forms, this is not a problem.
- As an additional control measure, keep one of the dried blood specimens and send the other 2 for genotyping. If questions arise about results or if specimens are lost, this will be a safety net.
*The paper needed for blood spot collection can be ordered from Schleicher and Schuell: Paper-part blood collection forms, 100/package; order # 58370 or #903 paper, 100 sheets/package; order #15750. If it is a problem getting the blotting paper, we can send you some.